Unlike other high-profile events, the The Southwest Chinese New Year Parade is an occasion in which the SFMTA is purely a participant. Nonetheless, it’s an event of strategic Agency representation within the largest celebration of Asian culture outside of Asia. The Southwest Chinese New Year Parade is also considered one of the top 10 parades in the world.
I oversaw the organization, recruitment and activation of the company parade contingent. This include cross-divisional organization to secure a vehicle and solicit parade participants, and often heavy negotiations with the parade organizers to allow said vehicle into the parade!
Specific achievements include
- Manage cross-divisional logistics such as:
- Executive approval of vintage vehicle use and promotional signage
- Transit approval in securing of vintage vehicle – plus preparing it mechanically and operationally to enter temporary service
- Transit labor union support to sign off on bus operator and featuring the year’s champion Cable Car Bell Ringer as guest of honor
- Central Subway team support to serve as outreach ambassadors for that project’s major impacts to Chinatown and be front-row representatives of the SFMTA
- Communications & media affairs support to live tweet the event, push promo materials and share event details throughout the organization.
- Negotiate contingent parade placement including in-kind sponsor partnership based on $10,000 advertising space with exposure to San Francisco’s 300,000 daily subway riders.
- Manage top to bottom plan for parade including development of promotional messaging (print, TV script, parade website, owned social channels and alerts).
- Oversee design concepts and delivery for themed contingent and historic vehicle decoration, approving production and ensuring deadlines are met in time for event.
- Facilitate in-reach to staff to participate; coordinate theme and adherence to strict parade behavior standards; ensure accessibility for all individuals of all ages.
- Serve as make-sure-everyone-is-having-fun ambassador!